April 19, 2012

Chili Soup and Cornbread!

Despite the crazyness of our lives right now I was dying to try something new for dinner so I made that a priority last night and whipped up a couple new recipes!

And who better to rely on for ideas than Skinnytaste and Weight Watchers?!?!?

I ended up making Weight Watchers Classic Corn Bread and Skinnytaste's Turkey Chili Taco Soup! See how one goes with the other!

First up I want to share the Turkey Chili Taco Soup recipe cause it's so extremely EASY and DELISH!! I wish I had made this during the winter instead of now with the sunny skies we are getting!!

But still it's worth it and can easily be whipped up on a day when you might be getting off work late or have something to do right after work. This takes a total of 20-25 minutes!

Without further ado - here you go!

Ingredients needed - 1.3lbs 99% lean ground turkey, 1 medium onion (chopped), 1 bell pepper (chopped), 10oz can tomatoes with green chiles, 15 oz can kidney beans (Drained), 8 oz can tomato sauce, 16 oz can fat free refried beans, 1 packet of low sodium taco seasoning, and low sodium chicken broth. She technically calls for 15 oz canned or frozen corn (drained) but I hate corn so it got the boot!!


First up you will want to chop up your onion and red pepper, lucky me I have an awesome fiance who always offers to do that kind of prep work. Seriously takes him 2 minutes, while it takes me at least 5 if not longer, I'm a slow chopper! Then drain your can of kidney beans. And while your at it go ahead and get your 2 1/2 cups chicken broth ready to go.

Once you've got that prep work done toss your ground turkey into a large pot and get it nice and browned.


Once your ground turkey is browned toss in your onion and bell pepper, stir and then let that cook off for about 2-3 minutes. It will smell so good at this point!


Then gather all these items....


And dump into your pot! Stir and let simmer for 10 - 15 minutes!


Remove from heat and if you aren't super impatient I highly recommend putting some in a bowl and letting it cool for a few minutes. It is hot! 


Add a couple (2 points each) corn bread muffins to the side, a small amount of cheese (I used a taco seasoned style cheese for more spice, not that it needed it ) and a small dollop of sour cream to your chili soup...


And ENJOY!

This seriously is so amazingly delish!! It's filling but doesn't feel super heavy like chili! And you get get 1-1/4 cups of it for only 5 points!! And unless you are starving you probably won't want to finish the entire bowl! I ended up only eating one of the corn muffins with my soup cause it's super filling!

And for those of you wondering here's the Weight Watcher Points Breakdown for the whole meal:

1-1/4 Cup Turkey Chili Soup = 5 points
1 Weight Watchers Corn Bread Muffin = 2 points
1 tablespoon light sour cream = .5 points
2 oz the taco seasoned cheese = 1.5 points!

Total = 9 point dinner

Now I could definitely take out the cheese, but the sour cream adds such great contrast that it's a must! And if you "dip" your corn bread in the chili soup you won't need any butter or honey to top it with!!

Overall this dinner could be 7.5 points or less and it's so filling! A must try for everyone who loves Soup, Chili, and Cornbread!

Stay tuned for the Weight Watchers Corn Bread recipe...............

1 comments:

Alyssa said...

Yum, I love your recipe posts because I always try it if it gets the Kendall stamp of approval!

 

A Bit Of This, A Dash Of That Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design and Bukit Gambang