January 17, 2012

22 Britannia Road

Sorry for the lapse in blogging. January always slows down for me, well at least when it comes to blogging, because I don't have too much time for crafting or cooking or reading. And since home improvements are still on hold, I am absolutely dying to do some, I don't have much to share!

However I finished up this months book club book last night! We are reading 22 Britannia Road by Amanda Hodgkinson this month!


I was so excited to read this book as I've heard so many good things. In fact I have not heard one bad thing....I guess I'll have to break that. No I'm not looking for anything negative but at the same point I do have one gripe about this novel...okay maybe two...

It is a wonderful historical novel. If you like history and you like reading fictional novels (based on facts - I'm sure) then you will love this book. The writing is wonderful. I really enjoyed the details the author included and I never felt overwhelmed by it. I was thoroughly involved in the story of Silvana, Janusz, and Aurek.

But........there was no big climatic moment. You keep waiting and waiting for something big to happen. Yes there is a huge secret in the book but let me tell you it's pretty damn obvious what it is. Maybe not from the very beginning but definitely about 100 pages in you a light bulb that pops up and you know how it's going to go. The story does not disappoint in that aspect.

I just was hoping for some more excitement from it. Like I said if you really enjoy reading historical fictional novels this would be right up your alley. I guess they just aren't my cup of tea (yup it takes place in Britain) so for me I need a little more excitement and a little less sadness. Yeah yeah, I know what the book description says it's about so how I can say a little less sadness...I don't know exactly what I mean by it either, but the book overall, once I got to the end, was a let down.

Overall grade - B. I got very into it and ended up reading 125 pages last night, stayed up late to finish it, but at the end of the book I felt a little let down.

1 comments:

Staci said...

Glad that you were able to get into the book. I hate when an ending lets you down!

 

A Bit Of This, A Dash Of That Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design and Bukit Gambang