March 17, 2012

Beat This Panda Express!!!

For those of you who don't know Panda Express is a Fast Food Version of Chinese Food. Personally I really enjoy Panda, it can be hit or miss but overall I stick with what I know is good, chow mein, Beijing beef, an egg roll, and orange chicken.

But while perusing Pinterest the other day (yes I succumbed and am happy to report I am not as addicted as I thought I'd be YAY) and found an awesome pin for a crock pot orange chicken recipe! What a great idea! I much prefer cooking at home rather than going out so if I can get a replacement for Panda woohoo!!! Plus its bound to be A LOT healthier!!

After posting this on my Facebook, well a picture of the final product, I knew I needed to get it up on the blog asap as a few people were wanting the recipe! I have been trying to get it up sooner but you know how life goes....but without further ado here is the fabulous recipe for Crock Pot Orange Chicken!

You need Olive Oil, Vinegar (the original recipe calls for balsamic but I only had rice vinegar), Flour, Brown Sugar, Orange Juice Frozen Concentrate, Ketchup, Salt, and of course Chicken!!

Go ahead and cut up your chicken into whatever size pieces you want! I prefer smaller ones since I knew it'd be going over rice!

Then take those chicken pieces and cover in flour, set aside.

Grab a frying pan and crank up the heat on your stove. Toss in a little bit of olive oil and getting to cooking up that chicken. According to the recipe the chicken does not have to be fully cooked since it's going in a crock pot, me personally there is no way I'd chance it. Yes I know that sounds silly but I have this huge fear of raw food and getting sick...so I cooked my chicken all the way!


Next up put together the saucy mixture!! Grab your orange juice (if frozen pop it in the microwave - obviously put it in a bowl and not the container in the microwave- for about 45 seconds).
In another bowl combine orange juice concentrate, ketchup, brown sugar, and salt.


Toss your cooked (or slightly undercooked) chicken into your crockpot.


Pour the sauce over the top of the chicken and stir it up a bit to really coat the chicken. Put a lid on the crockpot and let it cook on high for 2-3 hours (or on low for 5-6). 


Your house will definitely smell like orange chicken after this but it's all in a good way, unless of course you are burning a fruity candle, then it's just strange, trust me I know.

And dump it over some white rice, add in a veggie and bam a healthier (and better) version of chinese food in your own home, no travel necessary!


This surpassed all my expectations! I was really unsure simply because I love orange chicken (and no not just Panda's)!! This was so delish, even Chuckles really enjoyed it and we decided it's a regular now! For those hot summer days when you don't want to turn the oven on, for those weekends where we don't want to cook, or even for entertaining purposes, this recipe will be enjoyed by all who love Chinese Food. 

Another must try - and of course to give credit to where credit is due - I found the recipe here.

P.S. No idea on the weight watchers points scale where this would be. I will find out though and as soon as I do I'll update this post :)

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I wish I liked orange chicken!!! It looks delish but it's never been my thing. Glad you enjoyed!

 

A Bit Of This, A Dash Of That Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design and Bukit Gambang