February 4, 2012

Do You Believe?

Last year for Christmas I snuck onto Amazon.com and looked up my friend Alycia's wishlist cause out of everything to get her I knew books would be the best! She's a reader like me so it just felt natural to gift books!

Well one of the books I got for her was called The Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen. Needless to say I was intrigued so I hopped back on Amazon.com and ordered a used for copy for a penny. For $4 (had to pay shipping) I thought even if I didn't like it, no biggie!! $4 is a replacement to a coffee from starbucks. And really which is better for you?? Anywho I digress.....back to the book.
Source

When I first started this book my reaction was "What the hell did I like back then about this book summary?" I was super nervous but I like going out of my comfort zone and reading books that I may not have picked out on my own. After 100 pages I was hooked. Yes it took me 100 pages to enjoy it but that's exactly why I like to give books a real fair chance. I hate not finishing books so there has to be something a book to offend me in order for me to stop reading.

And you know what the biggest part of this book that was making me uninterested? It was that there is magic. And as I was talking about it to my Chuckles it was a more "What the hell is wrong with me?". A book is supposed to a story you can get into and it doesn't have to be that realistic. I may not believe in the magic that occurs in the book but who cares? It's a book and the main reason I read is to get lost in a story and just step out of my own little world.

Once I realized that I was being silly, I got hooked on this book. You can't help but love the characters (well the ones you are supposed to love) and you are rooting for them the whole time. There are three main characters in the book - Josey who is stifled by wanting get her Mother's love and forgiveness (Mom is a very sad character), Chloe - who got cheated on by her Man and its so heartbreaking cause you just love the woman, and then Della Lee - I'll let you read about her story for yourself!

It's really hard to describe what this book is about so I'll leave you with this, there's magic of all sorts. There's medical healing magic (don't worry it's not over the top, it's just a small happening), love magic, book magic (so funny), and of course evil magic!! In fact one of the characters that is a bad bad guy reminds of the character Jimmy from Practical Magic (the movie with Nicole Kidman, Sandra Bullock, and it's a book).

This book really did a complete 180 for me from when I first started reading it and I couldn't put it down. Overall Grade - B+. Easy read, you'll love the characters, and just let yourself get lost in the magic.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

She has one...Garden Spells or something similar that I loved more than this book. And I liked this book. The other one reminded me of Practical Magic a lot. It wasn't the same but it was a fun read. I recommend it. It does, however, involve some magic.

Staci said...

Thanks for sharing! :-)

Unknown said...

I am SO glad you ended up liking it :o)

 

A Bit Of This, A Dash Of That Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design and Bukit Gambang