February 27, 2012

We're Getting Fried In Here!

For Christmas my awesome friend Alycia got me this amazing cookbook - Comfort Food Fix - which is all comfort foods that have been made more healthy! My home girl was definitely looking out for me as I LOVE comfort foods and naturally those are the first to get cut when you change to a healthier lifestyle :)

I finally had the time to sit down and try one so of course I go for one that's an alternative to Fried Chicken! I mean how can you not go for a healthier version of that, who doesn't love fried chicken??

So I made the Honey-Crisp Oven-Fried Chicken. Surprisingly you don't need much for this recipe, just - Chicken (she calls for thighs but I am not a fan so I just used chicken breasts), Corn Flakes, Low Fat Buttermilk, Paprika, Garlic Powder, Salt, Pepper, Cayenne Pepper, Honey, and Cooking Spray.


First things first, soak your chicken in 2/3 cup low fat buttermilk for at least an hour in the fridge.


Then you need to crush up those cornflakes. Depending on how much chicken you are making will change how much you actually need of the cornflakes, but if you are a waster like me you give yourself too much to work with. I'd rather have too much than too little.

Best way to crush these babies (without a food processor) is with a rolling pin. Seriously it was quick and easy!


Next you add in all your seasonings. Add in as much or as little as you like. We prefer a lot of flavor so I tend to go heavy on the spices.


Now we are not honey fans. Actually we aren't against it just neither of us eat it or use it so I had to buy a whole new "bear" of honey :) You again will need to figure out how much honey you need depending on how much chicken you are cooking. But put the honey in a separate bowl and grab a kitchen brush.



Since my hands got extremely messy at this point I stopped the picture taking. But you take your chicken out of your buttermilk and shake off the excess buttermilk. Don't be flinging the chicken around but a few light shakes should be enough. 

Then on a separate plate (to keep the mess confined) you will want to spread the honey all over your chicken. On both sides. See how that can get messy.

After you've got honey spread all over then simply coat the chicken with your cornflake/spice mixture. Make sure to really coat it cause the crispier the better right?!?!?


I should've mentioned before you start on your chicken get out a baking sheet and spread aluminum foil over it. Spray lightly with your cooking spray.

Place your chicken on the pan and lightly spray the chicken with your cooking spray. Only needs a spritz!


Pop those suckers in the oven at 350 degrees for 45 - 50 minutes, depending on what type of crispy you want to achieve. I also flipped mine mid way through the cooking process to ensure both sides reached maximum crisp potential!


Then of course you must serve with some mashed potatoes (unhealthy I know but how could I not?) and a big ol helping of veggies!


This meal was so amazingly delish. The chicken had a sweet honey taste to it which I was not used to but absolutely loved. Not only do I think this is a keeper but Chuckles devoured it! And the biggest bonus neither of us felt like we just ate greasy fried chicken but we were both so satisfied with dinner.

Based on this recipe alone I'd recommend buying the book but stay tuned cause I will be cooking up quite a few more recipes! I have set a goal to cook up new recipes in March and I know some of those will be coming from this book!

Thanks Alycia!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

YAY!! I am happy it's a hit :o)

Um, so when am I coming over for some fried chicken?!?!? :op

Kendall said...

We will definitely plan a night for me to cook you up some chicken!! If Chuck likes it I'm sure you will...damn picky eaters :o)

Kendall said...

We will definitely plan a night for me to cook you up some chicken!! If Chuck likes it I'm sure you will...damn picky eaters :o)

 

A Bit Of This, A Dash Of That Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design and Bukit Gambang