September 6, 2012

Beer Can Crock Pot Chicken

After the shredded BBQ chicken in the crock pot was such a success I was very anxious to try another crock pot recipe. And that's exactly what I did! I've been wanting to make this beer can crock pot chicken for months and months but would always forget to pull the chicken out or just change my mind!

Finally on Labor Day I decided to make it! I, of course, forgot to pull out chicken but I had to hit up the grocery store that day any ways and decided to cook it on the high setting instead of low. Oh and have I mentioned this is actually a recipe from Pinterest!?!?!? I actually just went through and organized our recipes and tossed a bunch!! I have so many on my Pinterest board why keep cluttering up the recipe book?!!? Why not just wait until I know I like it?!?!? Love Pinterest for helping keep the clutter out of my house!!

I digress...

For this recipe you need:
  • Chicken Breasts (we had 2)
  • Basil
  • Paprika
  • Garlic Powder
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • Beer of your choosing! (Thanks to my sister in law for leaving some Heinekins behind, I now owe you one (or 4))


Dump all your ingredients into the crock pot. I never measure out my seasonings since it really should be to your liking!


Turn the crock pot on low for 8 hours on on high for 4. Since I didn't get to the grocery store until 10 I turned this baby on around 2 and set it on high!

Your house will start to smell like beer and chicken!


I was not aware that this chicken was just going to fall apart when taking it out of the crock pot. I either missed where she said it or I just didn't think...actually it's probably a bit of both of those scenarios! After realizing this we realized we should've made rice and turned it into a rice & chicken bowl with veggies!


But since we didn't want to wait on making rice we went with the original plans! Voila...beer can chicken, salad, and au gratin potatoes (not pictured sadly).


The chicken was interesting. I can't really decide if I liked it or not. I enjoyed it but not sure we will make it again. Both Chuckles and I could think of at least 5 different ways we prefer preparing chicken so this one probably won't make it into our recipe binder.

It wasn't bad though and I highly recommend you all give it a shot! It's just an interesting mix of flavors that I can't quite figure out if it pleased my taste buds or weirded them out! It kind of felt like I was eating beer instead of drinking it!

The only exception that Chuckles agreed to is if I try it with a seasonal beer. Or perhaps maybe a darker beer with a different flavor. I would love to try it with a seasonal fall beer and make it into a rice and veggie bowl....any suggestions for a different type of beer to try??

0 comments:

 

A Bit Of This, A Dash Of That Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design and Bukit Gambang