December 20, 2010

Rosie the Elephant

I finished our last book club book for 2010!!! YAY!! This means I am only one book away from completing my 2010 Reading List! YAY!!

I just finished reading Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen which has been reviewed as an awesome book.

Well the reviews are wrong I am sad to say, or at least in my opinion. I know a few people who absolutely loved this book. I HATED IT! Even at the end there was not one thing I could say I liked about it. I was actually really upset over not liking this book because even before our Book Club began it was on my list of must reads!

Sadly I didn't like any of the characters and I just can't get my head around the circus lifestyle. I absolutely hated how the animals were treated. I was extremely put off by the amount of "sexual" content in the book, the descriptions and some of the scenes were completely un-necessary. While I'm sure her book is written based on facts (she says most of it is in an interview that was included at the end) I was totally put off. I was not expecting some of the gruesome details included or the way she describes a few scenes that I felt could have been left out entirely.

Overall I give this book an F. I actually regret reading it and that just sucks! I was so looking forward to this book and to the movie they will be coming out with eventually but now I know for a fact that I won't be seeing the movie. Hopefully I'm not alone on this because most people I know really enjoyed it. :-(

6 comments:

Doreen said...

HI -- just discovered your blog--I like your book review! Our book club read W4E a few months ago, and although the subject material and graphic representation of the circus was a little hard to read, overall, we liked the story. I warn you, the film is being released in April...

Kendall said...

Thanks Doreen!!! I actually ended up watching the Trailer for the movie and am intrigued but not sure that I'll go see it in theaters, might wait until it comes out for rent!

Tracy said...

I can't add anything as I haven't read it.
I hate when I push through a book, only to find out I wasted my time. I could have read something better.

Staci said...

Ugh! Don't you hate that! I have 7 more books to read on my 50 books to read before you die list.

Unknown said...

sad day! i hope you end your 2010 reading list with a positive note! :o)

.. WHERE is your 2011 reading list?!

Kendall said...

Tracy - I hate it too! I always give books that chance too, and I hate when I'm disappointed!

Staci - dang that's awesome, only 7 left! I hope your list is on your blog of those books cause I'm going to look for it now :)

Alycia - I promise its coming! LOL I know you've been waiting patiently!

 

A Bit Of This, A Dash Of That Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design and Bukit Gambang